roe from 1 whole sac of mentaiko, scraped and removed from the sac with a small spoon
1 cup of rice
1 green tea bag
2 TBL of nori (preferably the salted kind), hand shredded into small 1/4″ pieces
2 tsp of toasted sesame seeds
3 TBL of pre-cooked salmon, roughly shredded into 1″ pieces (can be added cold straight from the refrigerator)
1 TBL finely chopped green onion
Optional: kimchee on the side. this goes great with kimchee!
- Place a medium sized cup of cold water into the microwave and heat it until it reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit (this is much lower than the boiling point of water and is the ideal temperature for green tea. Green tea releases bitter flavors if the water is too hot). Add in the green tea bag and allow to sit for 3 minutes.
- Add hot rice to a medium sized bowl.
- Pour hot tea over the rice (a little more than you would for cereal)
- Add all the toppings on top.
- Add a little more tea if you feel there is not enough liquid to keep it somewhat soupy.
- Serve hot and enjoy.